Calvin Klein is one of the best known designer names in the world, offering a modern design aesthetic. The Calvin Klein brands — Calvin Klein Collection, Calvin Klein (platinum label), Calvin Klein (white label), Calvin Klein Jeans and Calvin Klein Underwear — provide us with the opportunity to market products both domestically and internationally at various price points, distribution channels and to different consumer groups than most of our Heritage Brands business product offerings. Global retail sales of products sold under the Calvin Klein brands were approximately $8.1 billion in 2014.
A tiered-brand strategy was established for Calvin Klein to provide a focused, consistent approach to global brand growth and development. Each of the Calvin Klein brands occupies a distinct marketing identity and position that preserves the brand's prestige and image. Our brand portfolio includes:
- Calvin Klein Collection – Our “halo” brand, under which men’s and women’s high-end designer apparel and accessories, as well as items for the home, are sold. Representing pure, refined luxury, distribution is through the wholesale channel across the globe and through flagship stores in Asia and our own Calvin Klein Collection retail flagship store on Madison Avenue in New York City.
- Calvin Klein (platinum label) – Our "bridge" brand, formerly known as ck Calvin Klein, was rebranded in 2013 in order to unify the Calvin Klein brands under one umbrella. This line offers modern, sophisticated, fashionable items including apparel and accessories, which are sold in the wholesale channel through specialty and department stores in various regions, as well as in free-standing stores in Asia.
- Calvin Klein (white label) – Our white label “better” brand includes offerings such as men’s sportswear and dress furnishings, men’s and women’s outerwear, fragrance, accessories, footwear, performance apparel, women’s sportswear, dresses, suits and handbags and items for the home. Distribution is primarily in North America through department stores and free-standing stores.
- Calvin Klein Jeans – Offerings under this label include men’s and women’s jeans and related apparel, which are distributed worldwide, and denim accessories, which are distributed in Europe and Asia. With roots in denim, it is the casual expression of the Calvin Klein brand and is famous for its unique details and innovative treatments.
- Calvin Klein Underwear – As the world’s leading designer underwear brand for men and women, Calvin Klein Underwear is known across the globe for sexy, cutting-edge products and marketing campaigns, consistently delivering innovative designs with superior fit and quality. Offerings under this label include men’s and women’s underwear, sleepwear and loungewear, which are distributed worldwide.
At the core of Calvin Klein’s DNA are its global marketing campaigns, which are designed to engage consumers through provocative, modern and iconic lifestyle imagery. Calvin Klein engages consumers through comprehensive 360° marketing campaigns, which have raised the brand’s cultural and fashion relevance. Recent campaigns include the successful #mycalvins campaign for Calvin Klein Underwear and Calvin Klein Jeans, which encouraged fans of the brand to share photographs of themselves in their favorite Calvin Klein items. The campaign drew interest from “Millennials,” adding to the aspirational, yet accessible, nature of the brand. Through #mycalvins, among several other high profile marketing efforts, Calvin Klein has seen a sharp increase in followers across social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Weibo in China. These campaigns have been extremely successful in driving consumer engagement, and have been commercially successful as well, driving incremental purchasing of Calvin Klein Underwear product across channels.
Calvin Klein’s legacy of provocative marketing campaigns continues, with globally recognized musician Justin Bieber being featured as the new face of Calvin Klein Jeans and Calvin Klein Underwear in Spring 2015. Additionally, in April 2015, Calvin Klein announced that Kendall Jenner would be featured in a Denim Series capsule collection campaign.
The brand’s efforts are being recognized, with L2 ranking Calvin Klein #9 (along with Michael Kors) on its Digital IQ Index: Fashion in 2014, which ranks the digital competence of 85 global fashion brands across site, digital marketing, social media, mobile and tablet. 2014 marked the second consecutive year in which the brand placed in the top ten on L2’s index.
Calvin Klein has a dedicated in-house advertising agency, with experienced creative and media teams that develop and execute a substantial portion of the institutional consumer advertising for products under the Calvin Klein brands and work closely with other Calvin Klein departments and business partners to deliver a consistent and unified brand message to the consumer. In 2014, over $400 million was spent globally in connection with the advertisement, marketing and promotion of the Calvin Klein brands, and these expenses are principally expended by Calvin Klein’s licensees and other authorized users of the Calvin Klein brands.